Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ode to a dear friend

Today I am fighting the battle with the blues
I am fine most of the time, but sometimes I slap my cheerfulness aside
and have a wallow in "poor poor pitiful me". The last few days have been like this. Wage cuts at work have crippled us financially. We can't go to movies, or eat out, or buy clothes...anymore. Since I am an hourly employee with NO vacation or paid time off I can not afford to take any time off work either. One of my co-workers had surgery and this is his 6th week of part time. After taking a couple weeks off to recover. Now here is the clincher.. He is going out tomorrow with his friends to lunch. I know what you are thinking: He can't exist for long on part time wages. No, he is salary so he is NOT being paid at the part time rate. He is being paid to be there all day whether or not he shows up. Every day at the end of my 9 hour day, when I did not even get to go to the bathroom without forwarding the phones to my cell, I think to myself "Well if I had a kidney removed, I would want people around me to pick up the slack also." Then today he announces he is going out to lunch with his buddies tomorrow. Like showing up at 10am and leaving at 2pm is not a slap in the face enough. He is going out partying tomorrow for probably his usual hour and 45 minutes.Come on guy. If you are well enough to slurp margaritas and Mexican food, you're well enough for work where you sit on a chair all day and type.

Now for the other source of my blues: my second job. Today my boss offered to let me and Brittany make some extra $. He wants us to clean a filthy warehouse with mouse doodoo, live rats, foxes, squirrels, and bugs, etc.. for $12.00 an hour. I mean OK it is cleaning and we already do clean the other place but I keep thinking the guy means to make up for the inequity in making someone take a pay cut who was already making way less than half what the others were making. AND working 2 jobs for him to make ends meet.
There is a guy at my work who makes over $30.00 per hour. My boss lets him have a company car and phone. This guy lies on his hours constantly and they let it slide. He refuses to come to work a lot and they let it slide. He breaks the rules a lot and they let it slide. Have I mentioned I do the payroll? This is an every week thing.
Screw it, I will go to work. I will do my fair share and the extra which has fallen on my lap. I will take my $11.90 per hour and eat hot dogs with the kids and attempt to be grateful. I am blessed. And I have 2 jobs.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it really stinks to be mature and responsible!!

    ReplyDelete